The first human to be infected with a deadly plant fungus has made a full recovery after two years of treatment, The Jerusalem Post reported April 2.
The 61-year-old man from India acquired Chondrostereum purpureum in his job as a plant mycologist working with decaying organic material. He was taken to the hospital after experiencing three months of flu-like symptoms, difficulty swallowing and anorexia. The fungus was identified only after physicians performed sequencing, according to a study of the case in Medical Mycology Case Reports.
Chondrostereum purpureum causes a fungal disease called Silver Leaf, which often attacks species in the rose family, according to the report.